The ATO has released Taxation Ruling 2021/1 on when deductions are allowed for employee’s transport expenses. The principles in the ruling apply equally to sole traders and partners in a partnership.
The Ruling largely follows existing law and ATO practice. Tax specialist Leo Hollestelle reviews in detail the new Ruling and discusses a number of common situations involving home to work travel contained in the Ruling including:
1. Travel to a regular place of work
2. Travel between work locations not including home
3. Travelling to a location other than a regular place of work
4. Transport expenses when travelling away from home to work
5. On call and standby arrangements
6. Working from home, remote working and flexible work arrangements
7. Transporting bulky equipment
8. Transport expenses to relocate.
The New ATO Ruling on Deductibility of Employees Transport Expenses
article is only available to our members.
Please enter your username and password below to gain access.
Click here to become a member.